Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Holiday Time and promises

We move into high gear for Greetings and take a break all at the same time. The offices will be closed Thursday and Friday so that most of the staff can spend the holiday with family and friends. Tonight is the last rehearsal for Greetings until Sunday's technical rehearsal. The cast will take a break to spend time with family and friends. There is another tradition however. That tradition is that the a lot of technical work has to get done between now and Sunday's rehearsal. Jim Keeney and I will be working on lights, sound, and set this Friday and Saturday in preparation for Sunday. It never fails that a show goes into tech rehearsal on the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Many theatres put on performances on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I've always struggled with that idea. While from an audience standpoint it might do well, from a volunteer and staff standpoint having everyone give up their holiday to be at the theatre seems to be at odds for me with what community is all about. We are an organization with a mission that talks about community values and relationships.

It seems like at least once a week a decision is called for about scheduling a theatre rental during off hours, or producing a show for a special corporate event outside of our regular season. The first thing that happens in planning any of these extra events is asking volunteers and staff to give additional time to do an event. Balancing the needs of the primary program and mission of the theatre against the additional revenue brought in by additional programs. The majority of the the theatre staff puts in 50-60 hours every week. Performers in a show donate 15-30 hours a week in rehearsal time or performance times. Volunteers are coming in to help with the set construction and painting, running the lights and sound for rehearsals and events.

I often think that trying to find the right balance between income and expenses is easier than deciphering what the costs in terms of time truly are. Most people in the theatre aren't just "donating" their time. It means families are donating time to support the people producing the shows at the theatre too. We all strive to create something really special.

The only thing I know to be true is that everyone at MHT works extremely hard to accomplish so much. Other theatres are always amazed at how many shows, classes, and outreach programs we do in the course of a year. My philosophy is that when we work, we all work very hard, and when it is family time- the focus is on family. I know that I don't always live up to that ideal in my own life but I try.

My mentor in college was a professor who lived at the theatre. He had two daughters who grew up with their father always at the theatre. When I attended the memorial service for my professor, I told them how much their father had been my role model and that I had a young daughter. They both told me they wished their dad had been around a lot more during their childhood. Having a career in the arts for most people blocks out everything else in life. Families tend to suffer the most. When April and I chose to make Paducah our home 25 years ago we did it because we wanted to be part of a community and raise a family. Not because we were driven to do theatre and nothing else in life. April and I love being in theatre and doing what we do. But like all creative people. We lose track of the time involved. So even though it means we have to work that much harder to get ready for Sundays rehearsal. No one is allowed to work on Thanksgiving and the show won't open until Dec. 4. I haven't always been able to keep that promise for myself but I try.

I'll be home tomorrow eating our traditional meal and getting Christmas decorations out to put up even though we open next week. I hope that everyone gets the chance to spend time with family and friends in the true spirit of community!

Greetings will open Thursday Dec. 4 and run until Dec. 14. The theatre will close at the end of the day on Friday Dec. 19 and the staff and volunteers are off until Monday Jan. 5 to focus on family and friends.

No comments: