Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 7

My back held out and I carried Sydney on for opening night. As of writing this (Sat. 1:30 pm) the cast is getting their costumes on and we have performed 5 performances already of the show. In about 5 minutes we will do warmups for the show. This consists of lots of stretching and vocal exercises. Stretching your body to release the tension and get it loosened up. Stretching your face so that you can make expressions easier. Vocal warmups which stretch the vocal chords and your lips and tongue so you can articulate your words. Favorite vocal warmups are red leather yellow leather copper kettle brittle brattle said faster and faster. I was always partial to toy boat, toy boat, toy boat said several times faster and faster.

We had someone ask how we (the adults) cry every performance. Once you learn the tools of acting you find that you are able to touch on deep emotions within yourself when you concentrate and "pretend" or imagine a situation. I imagine that Sydney is my daughter Jade and that she is dying. That is enough to make me very emotional. I block out the fact that an audience is watching and I focus deeply on Sydney and those feelings. Then I fight those feelings. I do my best not to cry because that makes it real. Most of don't want to cry. We don't want to. That is what an audience can identify with. For me I have to lightly touch those feelings or I become so emotional I can't speak.

I read a script this morning while I was waiting for Jade to finish footlights. It is about middle school girls and the bullying and isolation that happens with our kids. It made me very emotional as I read it. April asked me to read it for possible production next season in our studio. I think it will be a challenge technically but is well worth the risk. After the performances a professional holds a "talk back" with audiences to explore the subject matter. In one of the guides we actually see a scene again with the actors and freeze them at the critical point. Then we look at different ways that scene could have continued which stopped the bullying. This is something I think is very important for our community and our kids.

Keep your eyes open next season and we will announce performance dates for this play. The cast is warming up and I need to join them.

No comments: