Thursday, February 19, 2009

the creative process

As we are less than 2 weeks from opening Ramona Quimby, I'm still struggling with the design. We have the basic walls up and April held her first run through on the main stage last night. Some of the ideas and concepts we locked in on early are now at the stage that they have to be finalized after the show has evolved to this point. I know that this wall will hinge and pivot out. But what does that wall look like. I've always been a structural designer. I love the sculpting and modeling that happens in a space. When it comes time to finish up the final details it is always a struggle for me. I'm always 2 weeks behind schedule and rushed. I worked until after midnight last night sketching and drafting wall units for the show. I'm seeing that work pay off this morning but I still have to work hard at it. You would think by now it would be much easier for me.

Yesterday the results from the Economic Impact Survey was presented. Adam Shull quoted me in the paper this morning as saying that getting all the artists to turn in their surveys and get everything collected was like herding cats. That was an offhanded comment in the coffee bar at the end of the day when I was reflecting on how long it took to get everything turned in as I was getting my coffee. Not something I wanted to read in the paper the next day. I kicked myself this morning reminding myself that talking to reporters- it is never safe to try to be funny with a reporter!

The theatre received a contribution from the Rotary Club yesterday and a check in the mail for the second part of our Kentucky Arts Council Grant. Both contributions were greatly appreciated. The board of directors will meet next Wednesday to look at the last 5 months of our fiscal year and how to meet our goals in fundraising events and contributed income. They will also vote on the slate of plays approved by the play selection committee for production next season. The board votes the list up or down but does not vote on individual plays on the list. In all my years at the theatre the board has only once almost voted down the list. That one time was the year that the committee had selected Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. With a cast of 17 men the board was very concerned we wouldn't be able to cast the show. That was a time when we set this huge challenge before us and then worked very hard to make it a success. It turned out to be the only show in theatre history that sold out its entire run before opening night. That was also my first musical to direct at MHT after taking over as Executive Director. There were several times during the rehearsal process I questioned my sanity in talking the board into approving the show and my directing it. During the final weeks of rehearsals for Joseph we had to replace the air conditioning system in the theatre. Each night in May we had the theatre doors wide open to get some air into the theatre. People would stand in the doorways and watch the rehearsal process.

Having done Joseph gave not only me, but the play selection committee too, the confidence to tackle Beauty and the Beast, and this years Wizard of Oz. Each challenge that we take on makes us a little more confident that we can handle the next challenge.

In Nov. of 1983 when I was hired, the theatre celebrated its 20th anniversary. Many of those first 20 seasons the theatre produced 3-4 plays total. The opening show of the 21st Season in Sept. of 1984 MASS APPEAL was the 100th production in the theatre's history. It took 20 years to do the first 100 shows. In the fall of 1992 only 8 years later the theatre did its 200th show - a story theatre production of HOW THINGS HAPPEN IN THREES. The 300th show was only 6 years later in January of 1998 with the production of NIGHTWATCH. The 400th production was 5 years later in June of 2003 with the musical KISS ME KATE. Now 6 years later we are at 500 productions. I am always amazed when I look back at those figures. How many people have been onstage and volunteered to work on all the aspects involved in the shows. Thousands of performers and tech crews have worked to make those 500 productions a reality. I wouldn't be surprised if millions of people have watched MHT performances. MHT has truly earned through the hard work of so many people our reputation as a Nationally recognized, award winning theatre.

But there's no time to sit back. We have to get back to work to get the 500th show ready for opening night!

No comments: