Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Positive experiences

Tonight is the final rehearsal before the Secret Life of Girls opens. I strongly encourage everyone who has a daughter in middle or high school to see this play and to bring your daughter with you. I have always heard that when girls turn on each other it can be so much more destructive than when boys do it. As a parent of a daughter in elementary school I've watched the dynamics of girls socializing. I've seen it done to my daughter and I've seen my daughter do it others. What used to be bad behavior, only associated with high school teens, is working its way down even into the elementary schools. This destructive behavior seems to go along with our popular and celebrity culture. Our instant communications world has made this even worse. With texting, instant messaging, and email and especially cell phone cameras a false rumor, a negative comment, or a destructive photo can circulate in seconds. When April became aware of this play we knew it was important to present in our community.

One of MHT's strongest values is that "We don't just entertain. We change lives..." After the play there will be a 15 minute talk back using some scripted sections of the show to give parents and children simple tools to help cope with and even stop some of the social bullying.

As I write this so many other related issues come to mind. I'm reminded of the old Dennis Miller show on HBO when he says "I don't want to go off on a rant" and then proceeds to do so. Well here is my rant-While this play deals primarily with teen girls, I've seen this behavior present in all ages. There is an awful need by some people to tear down others in order to boost their own egos. Teenagers are at a fragile time in life. In the same way people working on a play who are creating something and putting themselves out in front of their peers are also taking a risk. I hope that everyone who sees this production will walk away aware of how much damage can be done by negative comments no matter what the age. The stereotype of community theatre is that it is very "clique-ish". MHT has worked very hard to make this a welcoming and positive environment for new people who have never participated, as well as the many veterans who have worked on shows for years. In any creative venture there are always critics eager to stand on the sidelines and tear apart the work of others because it builds their own sense of superiority to hide their insecurities. Just as the "Queen Bee" in Secret Life of Girls tries to keep everyone revolving around her need to be the center of everything.

I remember a particular reviewer who worked free lance for the Paducah Sun doing play reviews. She was superb at celebrating the strengths of the production and individuals in the productions while still giving constructive comments that helped the performers, directors and designers grow. I've always valued that ability to be positive where people are taking a risk in front of their peer group.

It is easy for me to be positive with praise for what high school student Katy Miller is doing with the choreography for Wizard of Oz. We rehearsed the opening of Act Two last night with a big dance number and she has everyone from Mary Kathryn Dorr flying around the stage with gymnastics to the youngest actors swinging through the air hanging on to adult arms. This is the first time I've handed over the choreography for an entire show to a high school student and it couldn't be in better hands.

I watched Bye Bye Birdie two weeks ago and Fiddler on the Roof last week. I saw several great individual performances by adult and teen actors, some I've worked with before and great performances by some new people I don't know at all. There is a great deal of talent present in this community and MHT is proud to share a role in helping to develop and share that talent with the rest of the community!

Come see The Secret Life of Girls. I promise you it will be a positive experience!

No comments: