Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Casting

The cast list for Tom Dick and Harry was posted this morning. We have several veteran actors in the production along with a couple of newcomers to MHT. Monday's auditions had the majority of auditionees. Tuesday added the final person to the cast. Instead of call backs I felt fairly confident that I could cast the show this morning. We start rehearsals on Monday Sept. 21 the day after we close the final weekend of Smoke on the Mountain Homecoming. With today's sales we have exceeded our budgeted single ticket sales goal for the show. It feels good to start the season off with a big success.

I got a call from a friend to tell me that Mayfield singer Kevin Skinner had just won America's Got Talent. I remember back this last spring when Cathy Creceilus from the WPSDLocal 6 called me and asked me to be one of the judges for the local competition. Kevin was one of over 20 performers who showed up for the competition. I remember watching him perform and being moved by this simple man who sang and played music that he wrote. I used the phrase the "real deal" when it was my turn to critique his performance. I'm happy that Kevin was able to take the opportunity that was given to him and to go all the way and win the competition. WPSDLocal 6 and Cathy Crecelius deserve a pat on the back for helping make Kevin's dream a reality.

It is somehow appropriate for me that Kevin won as I announced the cast list for the show today. I can't help but think about the many people who I have watched audition for shows over the many years. Some of them like Kevin have a natural talent that comes from the heart. You know it when you see them. Many of them have graced the MHT stage. Some of them have gone on to careers in New York or Los Angeles or other major cities. Some of them who were just as talented as Kevin went into careers in medicine or teaching or a variety of other occupations. It is the combination of talent, luck, hard work, and being the "real deal" that makes someone a success. The real deal part is probably the hardest and is often the thing that people lose, the more successful they become.

So to Kevin I say congratulations. You've done an amazing thing that many people dream about doing. To those who feel that desire to stand up in front of a crowd of people and know what it is like to perform, to make an audience laugh or cry or to be onstage at the end of a show and receive a standing ovation for a job well done - come on down. That's what Market House Theatre is all about. Giving you the opportunity to experience a little of your dreams. Smoke on the Mountain Homecoming cast has one of the other finalists from WPSDLocal 6's America's got Talent competition. Miki Abraham also went to Chicago for callbacks with Kevin. She and 7 other very talented people from Mayfield, Paducah and Metropolis will sing and make you laugh and cry this very weekend on the MHT stage. Come celebrate the local talent that is present in our community as we celebrate Kevin's national success.

No comments: