Monday, August 25, 2008

Murder and Late Nights

Friday night we rehearsed the Wedding from Hell at the Civic Center. It was a little rough but the actors, Renie Barger, Mike Brewer, Marsha Cash, April Cochran, Phil Counts, Tom Dolan, Audra Hall, Roy Hensel, Steve Schwetman, and Valerie Pollard all had worked on their lines and their characters in preparation (and fear) of the performance. There is nothing so motivating for an actor than the fear of standing up in front of a group of people and not knowing your lines! I know really talented older performers who refuse to walk on stage because that fear can become overwhelming. There was no such worry Saturday night. All the performers knew their lines. We did have one sad moment in which Marsha Cash was to deliver a 1/2 page dramatic monologue in her best "soap opera-over the top" impersonation of her idea of the murder scene. However right before her monologue the actors accidentally jumped to the lines a page later completely skipping her "big scene". At the end we all tried to figure out what happened and the cast begged Marsha to do her scene for us even if no one else saw it. That is the excitement of live theatre. You never know what will happen. Some of the photos from the event are posted in a slide show at the side of the page. We had almost 200 people in attendance for the event.

I spent Sunday afternoon and evening working on dramatizing some historical information into a script for St. Mary's 150th celebration. They asked for my help and I promised only to give a look at the material and see if I could help them out. While I was doing this I was on the phone to the Madame H. We talked through several issues and then agreed to meet again at the drop point for a late night rendezvous. I showed up at the appointed time and then received a call on my cell phone that Madame H was running a couple minutes late. I went into the Shell station and bought a bag of peanuts and sat on the tailgate of my truck and waited. Not too long after the dark green mini van pulled up and the exchange was made. I took some photos of my adventure and those are posted at the side. I will turn in the disc today to Paducah Printing. We are still waiting for 2 advertisers to turn in their copy. If they don't turn it in today we will put their name and address of the their business in the program and wait until Greetings to put in the new ad copy.

High School musical is cast. I took a photo of April and Cindy onstage working through the casting. Over 130 performers auditioned and lots of very talented people did not get a roles. The first rehearsal is tonight. My Way is also in rehearsal tonight.

Most of today will be spent returning rented sound equipment. Returning keys to the civic center and unloading all the equipment that went to the Murder Mystery event. A round of applause needs to go to Cindy Miller and her committee who prepared the food for the Murder event. Sarah Bynum arranged for the alcohol and bar tenders.

The August board of directors meeting is tomorrow at 5:30pm.

No comments: